Tuesday, November 25, 2014

New Recipe: Hasselback Potatoes

Happy Tasty Tuesday!
So I typically fail miserably when it comes to making baked potatoes. They always come out try and lack flavor which is why I tend to gravitate towards rice over potatoes when I'm looking for a carb side dish. But when my mom emailed me a recipe for Hasselback potatoes and was determined to conquer my fear of baked potatoes. This recipe was a perfect Sunday afternoon project because they were a bit time consuming (probably took about 45min/1hour for me to put together) but they ended up coming out really tasty. I think I finally broke my baked potato curse!

Ingredients:
  • Baked potatoes (one for each dinner guest)
  • 1 package of Gruyere cheese, found in the cheese section. I bought a 4oz package and had some left over.
  • 1 cup skim milk
  • 1 cup low fat sour cream
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
  • 4 slices of Prosciutto thinly sliced
  • salt and pepper
This is what the potatoes will look like when you stuff the cheese inside the slits.

Pre-oven photo. 
The sour cream mixture is poured on top of the potatoes and they are topped with the  breadcrumb/cheese/prosciutto mixture. Ready to go in the oven!

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Microwave baked potatoes for 12-14 minutes (be sure to stab them a few times with a fork before hand so they don't explode in the microwave), and set aside to cool for a bit.
  • Place potatoes on a cutting board and make horizontal slices about 1/2 the way through each potato, each slice should be about 1/4 an inch between each other. 
  • Place cut potatoes in a baking dish (I use disposable aluminum tins). Slice the Gruyere cheese into thin pieces and stuff these pieces into the slits into the potatoes. The cheese will probably try and slide out from the pressure but just keep pressing them down, they'll stick eventually. 
  • In a bowl, combine sour cream, milk and nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Once the mixture has become a liquid, pour evenly over the potatoes. 
  • Shred prosciutto into tiny bits with a knife and place into a bowl. Add parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs and combine. Take the breadcrumb/cheese/prosciutto mixture and sprinkle it over the top of the potatoes.
  • Bake in the oven for 90 minutes or until potatoes are cooked throughout. 
  • Enjoy!
xoxo

3 comments:

  1. oh my goodness! That looks so tasty and creative! I will definitely have to make this soon! (After Thanksgiving though! #potatooverload)

    Dane // curly hair & high heels

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband would love me forever if I made these - they look awesome!

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I have never seen anything like this before.
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to check out my posts! I read every single comment! xo