Tuesday, July 29, 2014

New Recipe: Pasta Fagioli

Happy Tasty Tuesday!
I grew up with so many delicious authentic Italian recipes from my grandparents that I consider good old fashion comfort food. I'm so lucky that I still have so many of these recipes to carry on the tradition many years to come. One of my favorite family recipes is pasta fagioli. It's a quick and easy meal to make and it brings back plenty of wonderful family memories for me. It's also a great alternative to a traditional spaghetti or ziti dinner!

**THIS RECIPE HAS TO BE MADE 24 HOURS PRIOR TO SERVING**

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 olive oil
  • 1 cup diced red onion (if you have a food processor--- use it).
  • 1 small pkg of pancetta diced
  • 2 large tsp of garlic
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 can plum tomatoes diced (take the stems out)
  • 1 large jar of Ragu sauce (or red pasta sauce of your choice)
  • 1 large can of cannallini beans 
  • 1 lb of ditalini pasta 

Directions:
  • Saute onion, pancetta garlic on low heat in a pan with the olive oil (be sure not to burn the garlic) for 4-5 minutes
  • Add chicken broth and beans (don't drain the bean juice) and bring to a boil
  • Lower heat and add tomatoes, let simmer for 8-10 minutes
  • While chicken broth mixture is simmering, cook pasta according to directions in a separate pasta pot.
  • When pasta is cooked, drain the water and add the pasta to the chicken broth mixture.
  • Turn stove top off, add jar of Ragu and stir until everything is completely combined.
  • Cover pot of pasta fagioli and refrigerate for 24 hours so that flavor is allowed to soak into the pasta.
  • Reheat on the stove top the next day on low/medium heat.
  • Serve and enjoy!
xoxo

6 comments:

  1. wow I instantly got hungry when I saw this food! Looks delicious Alex, I would fed try it sometime!

    Nathalie | She Wears Prep
    shewearsprep.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm craving an early lunch!! This looks so darn good - you seriously need a cook book!

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my yum! thanks for this new recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds and looks delicious as always! Thanks for sharing!

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM. I'll have 4 bowls, thanks :)

    xo,
    Stephanie
    Diary of a Debutante
    www.thediaryofadebutante.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM!! I'm with Becky, when is the cookbook coming out!?
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to check out my posts! I read every single comment! xo