Tuesday, January 20, 2015

New Recipe: Tomato & Tortellini Soup

Happy Tasty Tuesday!
I made a vow to myself that I would try making more soups this winter and so far I've been making progress on my goal with the chicken pot pie soup I made a few months ago and now this tomato with tortellini soup. I think tomato soup is probably my favorite soup of all time, which is strange because I don't like actual tomatoes. This recipe was super easy to make and a great Sunday night dinner because it will leave you with plenty of leftovers for the rest of the work week. Also, I'm back on my "finding a new recipe each week game" and I've been experimenting with a lot of great idea's so expect some good meals coming in the next few weeks!
Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 3 carrots, diced
  • 3 stalks of celery, diced **Note: personally I don't always have fresh carrots and celery in the house but most grocery stores allows you to buy prepackaged celery and carrot stalks pre-chopped that you can use for chicken wings--- or for this recipe!**
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
  • 60 ounces canned tomatoes
  • 2 tsp Italian seasoning --> found in the spice section, who knew!
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
  • 1 1/2 lbs cheese tortellini
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tsp basil
  • grated parmesan cheese for garnish
Directions:
  • In a large soup pot, heat olive oil and onion over medium/high heat for 3-4 minutes.
  • Add diced carrots, celery, garlic and red pepper flakes to pot and cook until veggies soften, about 3 minutes.
  • Add canned tomatoes (juice and all), italian seasoning, salt, pepper and honey and mix together. Bring to a simmer and cook on low for about 15ish minutes.
  • Take heated soup mixture and place into a blender (I'm obsessed with my new Ninja) or food processor and puree until mixture becomes a smooth liquid. **Depending on the size of your blender, you might have to do this in two batches so it doesn't splatter**
  • Return the pureed liquid soup to the pot and add the chicken stock and stir on low.
  • Add tortellini (if tortellini is frozen you should cook it first seperately according to package directions, if the tortellini is fresh you can just add it to the soup directly from the package) and cook for 3 minutes on medium heat.
  • Remove from heat and stir in milk and basil.
  • Serve soup and garnish with parmesan cheese.
  • Enjoy!

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Yum!! I am loving tomato soup right now, so I'm going to have to try this!

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tomato soup, especially accompanied by a grilled cheese!

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to check out my posts! I read every single comment! xo