Friday, January 2, 2015

Book Update

Since this is the time of year many of you will be setting goals for 2015, I wanted to give you an update on my book count. I wanted to read 25 books before I turned 26 in November which basically amounts to 2 books a month (plus one month where I have to be extra on point and finish 3). I'm probably not alone in my book reading goals and personally I love when bloggers list what they're reading because it always gives me new recommendations for myself. So far I'm about 2 months in and I'm on my 5th book, so here is a little write up about what I've read so far and what's to come...
  1. Yes Please, by Amy Poehler-- This one comes highly recommended. Amy Poehler is a hilarious writer and I can't believe it took her this long to write a memoir. This books tells the story of how she become successful, with funny tales and relatable stories. If you weren't a fan of hers before this, you will definitely be one after you read Yes Please.
  2. Sister, by Rosamund Lupton-- Those of you who like murder mysteries will enjoy this book. It tells the story of Beatrice, whose beloved sister, Tess, was found dead in a park. Investigators ruled Tess' death a suicide but Beatrice refuses to believe that and searches for answers to locate her sisters killer. It's definitely a page turner that will keep you on the edge of your seat until the very end.
  3. Save Me a Spot in Heaven, Bailey Wind-- Two years ago, there was an car accident in my town that killed two high school students and severely injured two others. One of the survivors of this crash decided to write a book telling her story. It was a huge news story in my area so I was curious to check the book out. It's definitely a quick read and sad because it's a true story, but not sure I would recommend it to someone who wasn't familiar with the news story.
  4. The Leftovers, Tom Perrotta-- This book was recently turned into an HBO show with the same name. It tells the story of different characters living in Mapleton, a small town in New York. Two years prior, a great tragedy happened at 1/3 of the worlds population suddenly disappeared into thin air. Nobody could explain this disappearance and the town of Mapleton is still picking up the pieces to this day. I personally enjoyed this book a lot but there isn't necessarily an ending, and you never get an answer to why this Rapture occurred. 
  5. This is Where I Leave You, Jonathan Tropper-- I'm about halfway done with this book and so far I'm enjoying it. It tells the story of Judd Foxman and his dysfunctional family. His father had just passed away and it was his last dying with to have his family to "sit shiva" a Jewish tradition where the entire family stays in one home for an entire week to honor the dead. Chaos ensues with his crazy family, and I could appreciate the ridiculous personalities in this book because I could see my family members in each of them.
Next on the list: The Andy Cohen Diaries: A Deep Look at a Shallow Year, by Andy Cohen--- I'm a big Andy Cohen fan and loved his first book Most Talkative. For those of you unfamiliar with him, he's the creator of the Real Housewives franchise and current host of "Watch What Happens Live" on Bravo. Andy is hilarious, sarcastic and very honest so I'm looking forward to seeing what his next book has in store.

What are you currently reading?
xoxo

5 comments:

  1. you are reading Harry Potter again!! I didn't even read the post yet, but i immediately recognized the pages i ADORE to read and re-read those books..enjoy! Happy New Year :)

    ~Dana
    curly hair & high heels

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo "Yes, Please" is next on my list! I'm currently reading "I Shouldn't Be Telling You This" by Kate White. So far, so good!

    xo,
    Stephanie
    Diary of a Debutante
    www.thediaryofadebutante.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Yes Please" is on my list too! As a book lover myself, I might have to give some of these other books a read, too. I'm also a murder mystery lover, so I might have to give "Sister" a read. Good luck finishing all of your books! I'd love to see what else you end up reading, so be sure to share that too!

    Maggie D. xx
    http://mychicadventure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have hear such great things about "Yes Please" and "This is Where I Leave You". I will have to check out the other ones, thanks for the recommendations!

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll need to check some of these out! I NEED to read Yes Please!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to check out my posts! I read every single comment! xo