Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Theater Tuesday: Kinky Boots


So I don't have a new recipe for you this week, sigh. Lately, I've been trading my fancy Sunday dinners for hamburgers and hot dog's on the grill. Summer is so much more laid back, and my dinner suggestions definitely have been reflecting that. However, I can promise you new recipes are on their way. Over the next few days I'm going to be making a sausage and tortellini dish as well as pork chops in a mushroom wine sauce, so this little blog will be back on it's recipe game soon.
Instead of giving you a recipe today, I've decided to do a recap of Kinky Boots, which I saw at Proctors Theater on Friday night as one of their traveling Broadway shows. Kinky Boots won Best Musical at the Tonys in 2013, so automatically I knew I was in for a good show. Inspired by a true story, Kinky boots tells the story of Charlie Price, who inherits his father's shoe factory 'Price and Son' after his dad unexpectedly passes. Unfortunately, the business is about to go out of business so Charlie turns to his new friend Lola, a drag queen cabaret star who gives him the idea of making fabulous high heel boots that even men can wear. This crazy idea, seems impossible but it became Charlie's last hope to save the factory. 
Kinky Boots was such a feel good movie. I laughed out loud at so many hilarious moments and Lola definitely steals the show with her outrageous costumes and show stopping voice. This is probably one of the more wild shows I've seen (besides Book of Mormon which will forever be the craziest show I've ever seen) but I couldn't recommend it more. With all the recent news stories about Caitlyn Jenner and the fight for equality, this show really has the theme of acceptance of who you are and acceptance of others. The final song "Just Be" encourages everyone to be who they want to be and is sung with nothing but uplifting love. If you ever get a chance to see Kinky Boots on Broadway (or at one of the several traveling Broadway shows across the country), make sure you get tickets because you will be dancing in your aisle.


What is your favorite Broadway show?
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. I swear we grill out like three days a week during the Summer! So easy!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to check out my posts! I read every single comment! xo