Tuesday, December 9, 2014

New Recipe: Cheddar Jalapeño Corn Bread

Happy Tasty Tuesday!
Tis the season for making homemade soups and stews so I've been experimenting with different "dipping accessories". We all know the best part of a homemade soup is dipping bread into the yummy juices to soak up all the flavor. So instead of buying the traditional pillsbury rolls that you just pop into the oven, I've been trying to make different options from scratch. The other day I made chili for dinner and wanted a spicy bread for the side so I decided to search for something with jalapeños in it. Low and behold I stumbled upon this Martha Stewart recipe and decided to tweak it a bit and it came out perfect!
Ingredients:
  • 1 stick butter, melted (**Make sure it cools and is room temperature otherwise when you combine it with the buttermilk it will curdle, yuck... LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES!**)
  • 1 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 6 tbsp sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese (I used the pre-shredded store brand)
  • 1/2 cup pickled jalapeños (I bought a pre sliced jar and used about half of the jar, chopping up the jalapeños into even smaller bits).
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease/PAM a baking pan (I used a 9x9 ceramic pan).
  • In a large bowl combine dry ingredients: cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
  • In a separate bowl whisk together melted butter (**MAKE SURE ITS NOT WARM!), buttermilk and eggs. 
  • Add liquid mixture to cornmeal mixture and combine. Add grated cheese and jalapeños into the batter.
  • Pour batter into greased cooking pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, stick a toothpick into the center and make sure it comes out clean to be sure it's done (corn bread should brown on top).
  • Let cool and ENJOY!
Do you like to serve breads with your soups or stews?
xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Tyler would probably propose to me all over again if I made this for him.. He loves anything jalapenos!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't used to like jalapeño anything but have grown to like it recently - this sounds amazing!

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love jalapeno! It looks delicious!

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to check out my posts! I read every single comment! xo