Thursday, May 8, 2014

Refusing to Settle

So the other day I was talking with a friend about the idea of bettering yourself. We had both gone through a job change over the past year and were discussing the decision to continue to promote ourselves so it could eventually lead to us moving up in the work place. Although we both have great jobs, the desire to continue to grow and move up in our careers is something we both want because it would allow for more freedoms in our personal lives as well. It made me realize that while in your 20's, it's okay to be selfish. I've recently adopted this mentality of not settling for anything but the best and it has really motivated me to make some changes in my life starting with my career. There are so many things I want to do, places I want to visit and things I want to buy (hence the terrible shopping habit) that it's important that I have a job that allows me to achieve all these dreams. I don't think it's a bad thing to have higher standards for yourself. 
However, this post isn't necessarily about jobs, its more about refusing to settle in life. I don't believe in the idea of working some crappy job when you know you can find better or dating some weirdo just because your lonely and want a boyfriend. If you're unhappy with your body, where you live, who your surrounding yourself with then it's time to modify your life so you're happier. It's easy to get sucked into the fear of making a change, or the fear of believing you deserve better than what you have because that would mean an alteration would have to be made and change is scary. Finding a way to motivate yourself into doing something extraordinary with your life is the key.
 There have been plenty of time when I have lacked motivation or have been down on myself for one reason or another but within the past year it really hit me that I'm not getting any younger. Bigger responsibilities are on the horizon so it's important to do things now while I still have the freedom to do so. These are the years I want to to go on adventures, experience new things and most importantly start building my life. So writing down those dreams along with ways I am going to achieve them have become my new plan of attack. I would never want my best friends or family to settle for anything but the best, so why would I work towards less for myself? 

Basically, the moral of my post is to aim high, dream big, do all the things you say you want to do and never settle for anything less than you deserve.

Thoughts?
xoxo

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you! I was in a relationship for two years and I wasn't happy for most of the relationship, but I stayed because I was scared to leave; however, it turned out for the best because I am much happier now and it made me realize how important it is to create our own happiness, and not rely on others to make us happy. Great post!

    Hunter
    Prep on a Budget

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree!! I think we should all go after what we want. I truly believe we can do anything! At least, you never know until you try : )
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you! I went through a very rough patch during my first year of college and thinking this way is what got me out of it! I don't know if you are familiar with The Buried Life or not but they were a huge inspiration for me too. I am so glad I stumbled upon your blog - i gave you follow on GFC and would love if you could do the same for me!

    xoxo
    Tay
    waverlyandwestbourne.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree. Settling for anything in life only makes you unhappy. And life is WAY too short to be unhappy! So I am hoping you achieve everything you want! You've got this!

    Love Always,
    Elizabeth
    thejourneycreatingme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to check out my posts! I read every single comment! xo